August 7th, 2016
August 7th, 2016
Hixon Forest Park, 711 County Road FA, La Crosse, WI 54601
Starting things off with an uphill start thru the open, rolling meadows to separate the riders in true WORS fashion. Sport, Comp and Elite riders will be treated to an epic prologue lap to get things going including a road sprint followed by a fast, challenging downhill section. A long, steady climb up the Vista Trail brings riders back to the top and is sure to challenge even the seasoned WORS veterans. Citizen and Junior courses are less technical with significantly less climbing. Laps within the Upper Hixon Trail system (formerly Human Powered Trails) are an excellent mix of single track, rock gardens, log-overs and berms with steep inclines and fast descents.
From Interstate 90, take Highway 16 W which becomes Losey Blvd for approx. 5 miles, take left on Main St and continue onto Bliss Road for 2 miles, take left on County Road FA, race site in 1 mile. From the South: Highway 35 North, take right on Losey Blvd/Highway 16N, in 2.5 miles take right on Main St and continue onto Bliss Road for 2 miles, take left on County Road FA, race site in 1 mile.
- Race Director: Jay Odegaard
- Email: Odegaardj@cityoflacrosse.org
- Phone Number: (608) 789-7533
- 400 La Crosse St, La Crosse, WI 54601
- WORS race registrants receive a 30% dicounted rate at Candlewood Suites, 56 Copeland Ave, La Crosse, WI 54603. Call and mention the WORS race for the discount at (608) 785-1110.
- Goose Island Campground, http://bit.ly/1HU0MqN, 608-788-7018
- Blue Bird Campground, www.bluebirdsprings.com, 608-781-2267
- Pettibone Resort and Campground, www.pettiboneresort.com, 608-782-5858
Hixon Forest Trail Restoration Projects
- Pre-Ride: Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm
- Saturday Chili Feed Party: At Pearl Street Brewery, free chili, free pint to each registrant, live music, families welcome. Saturday 5pm-7:00pm
- Night Ride: Saturday 7:30pm. Details TBA.
- Hixon Forest Frolic * Trail Run, Sunday 8:30am start *5K Run*www.wors.org for more info
Event parking free, first come first serve. Limited parking available on private lands, fees may apply.
- Free Schwag Bag to all registered racers
- Racer Lounge: free post-race snack
- Concessions available to purchase throughout race event
Hixon Forest Epic organizers are excited to bring the Wisconsin Off Road Series to La Crosse’s majestic, forested bluffland trails! Hixon Forest is nestled in 800 acres in the bluffs on the east side of the City of La Crosse. In the early 1900s, a group of citizens including members of the Hixon family, raised funds to purchase area blufflands to save them from additional quarrying and logging. Soon after deeds were exchanged, the lands were donated to the City of La Crosse for preservation and recreation. In modern times, the City of La Crosse Parks and Recreation Department works alongside local organizations to build and maintain trails for hiking, snowshoeing, and of course, mountain biking.
The City of La Crosse Parks and Recreation Department’s mission is to enrich our community through stewardship of the environment and through provision of quality recreation, facilities and fun. Bringing the WORS mountain bike races to La Crosse matches our mission and puts our city on the map as a destination for this rigorous sport.
Our organizers have put together an exciting course that will challenge WORS racers to kick it into gear with excellent variety of single track, rock gardens, log-overs and berms with steep inclines and fast descents.
In addition, come live it up in La Crosse on Saturday for the Pre-Ride, a family-friendly Chili Feed Party at Pearl Street Brewery with free chili and a free pint for each registrant followed by a Night Ride! The day of the event, the excitement continues with the Hixon Forest Frolic 5K by Wisco Trail Runs, a Kids Race (where everybody’s a winner!), and awesome concessions including craft brews by Pearl Street Brewery!
All participating registrants will receive a Schwag Bag, a WORS discount rate at Candlewood Suites of La Crosse, free chili and a pint of craft beer (at the party), and the first 300 registrants will receive a Hixon Forest Epic t-shirt.
It’s going to be an amazing year at the Hixon Forest Epic!
For event updates, “Like us” on Facebook at HixonForestEpic.